NUMSA welcomes the decision by Sumitomo to withdraw the dismissal of 900 employees

Business News

Tebogo Msimanga |

The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) in Kwa-Zulu Natal signed an agreement with Sumitomo on Wednesday where the company has agreed to withdraw the dismissal of 900 employees.

On the 25th of April workers at Sumitomo went on a strike, which the courts later declared to be unprotected. Subsequent to that, on the 24th of May the employer dismissed 900 workers for participating in the strike.

NUMSA Kwa-Zulu Natal Regional Secretary Mzamo Khoza said last week NUMSA engaged in mediation and the agreement which was signed on Wednesday, 07 June 2023 is a product of that engagement. “The goal was to settle the dispute amicably and to find a way to re-instate workers who had been dismissed. We are pleased that we were able to achieve this and save jobs. As part of the agreement, Sumitomo has agreed to withdraw the dismissal and reinstate all 900 workers. Furthermore, there will be no disciplinary charges, except in some cases of misconduct”.

Khoza said they also agreed that for now, the previous shift pattern where workers worked for 6 days per week, would be re-instated and would remain in place until December. “There will be no short time because this issue was affecting members negatively”.

Workers will resume their duties on Thursday 8 June 2023.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *