Ramaphosa refuses to give evidence of his 2017 political campaign

News Politics

The National Assembly on Wednesday said it initiated a section 194 inquiry to investigate grounds of misconduct and incompetence against Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane who occupied the office of the Public Protector.

Spokeperson to President Cyril Ramaphosa, Vincent Magwenya said Ramphosa did not make any allegations against Advocate Mkhwebane. Therefore, the President cannot be compelled to provide evidence proving or disproving these accusations.

“President Ramaphosa had in accordance with the section 194(3)(a) of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, decided to suspend Advocate Mkhwebane from the office of the Public Protector effective 9 June 2022”.

Magwenya said accordingly, Ramaphosa rejects the suggestion of UDM leader General Bantu Holomisa that he should give evidence on his 2017 party political campaign during the section 194 inquiry. “General Holomisa’s speculation that the CR17 campaign “may have” used public funds is baseless, misdirected and vindictive. It is an abuse of parliamentary processes and privilege. It has never been alleged that public funds were used by the CR17 campaign”.

Magwenya further said the Constitutional Court judgement last year ruled that the Public Protector had no authority to investigate the CR17 campaign, given that this was not an organ of state and therefore not within the Public Protectors’ remit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *