“National lotteries syndicate stole R300 million”

News Politics

Tebogo Msimanga |

The Special Investigative Unit (SIU) on Tuesday revealed to the portfolio committee on trade, industry and competition that the National Lotteries Commission’s (NLC) leadership and its criminal network are alleged to have stolen funds to the tune of R300 million.

Democratic Alliance( DA) Shadow Deputy Minister of Trade, Industry and Competition Mat Cuthbert said the SIU told the committee that they will be investigating close to 50 separate cases of corruption and misappropriation of funds.

“With only 12 of the 50 cases finalised so far, it is clear that by the time the investigation is concluded, the funds allegedly misappropriated and stolen will far exceed this R300 million.”

The DA said it has been reliably informed that the allegations levelled against the NLC leadership include acts committed by individuals including former board chairperson, Alfred Nevuthanda, former board member William Huma and, suspended COO, Philemon Letwaba.

“While this industrial-scale looting was underway, the African National Congress (ANC) did everything in its power to protect the NLC leadership by assisting them to escape accountability, smearing journalists and trying to silence the Democratic Alliance (DA).”

The opposition party is urging both the Hawks and the National Prosecuting Authority to act swiftly and decisively against “these shameless individuals who have stolen money meant to uplift the most marginalised in our society.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.