Tebogo Msimanga |
Two suspects, a man and a woman both aged 37, appeared before the Mamelodi Magistrate Court on Friday 05, March on charges of theft, trespassing and fraud. The police continue to investigate several cases opened by victims of the alleged infamous Boko Haram group that is accused of terrorising the communities and business people in and around Mamelodi.
Brigadier Mathapelo Peters said, an intelligence-led operation was launched and on Wednesday 03 March 2021, the detectives working closely with the Combat and Reaction Team of Mamelodi, arrested the two suspects on allegations of illegal collection of monies from tenants at Inkandla Hostel in Mamelodi.
“The possibility of more arrests cannot be ruled out as police anticipate that more victims could come forward.” Said Peters.
Gauteng Police Commissioner Elias Mawela has urged the Tshwane multi-disciplinary team to continue with the good work until this” so-called Boko Haram” becomes a thing of the past, in the best interests of the people of Mamelodi.
“Those victims who withdrew their cases or previously refused to give statements or participate in identity parades, citing fear or intimidation by the Boko Haram, are encouraged to reconsider and reopen their cases so that the perpetrators get arrested and prosecuted,” said the Commissioner.
The two suspects are remanded in custody and they will appear in court on 11 March 2021.