R350 Covid-19 Relief Ends

News South Africa

Hlokomelo Mabogale |

Many South Africans who are over 18 years and unemployed were receiving R350 from government, this money was helping them to get through the lockdown but Sassa says it ends on Sunday : 31-01-2021.

This grant relief was supposed to have ended last year October but it was extended. However, many organisations and beneficiaries of this money are pleading with government to extend and increase it to R500.  

Since it was meant for those with no income at all, the struggle will go back to normal to those who were receiving it. People were sleeping at Post Offices in order to get hold of the R350.

Sassa spokesperson, Paseka Letsatsi has confirmed the ending of this grant and said “The directions which were given to SASSA to administer the distribution of this grant has a mandate. So far, the mandate ends at the end of January.”

Furthermore, “What we know as an organisation is that if there are people who haven’t gotten their money for whatever reason, or if there are people who have appealed, as an organisation we will then be able to make sure that we administer the distribution of this grant until the end of the financial year.”explained Letsatsi.

The over 6 million people who were depending on this money, will now have to figure out a way of surviving during this lockdown.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *